Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pictures and update

Rich and I have been trying since last Friday to get Owen to get used to sleeping in his crib. And I think we made a break through last night. Maybe I'm jinxing us by saying this...but Owen was a good boy last night.

After his 8-oz bottle at 9:00pm , we put him in his crib. He resisted a little by reaching for us and calling (crying) for us. But after about 10 minutes, he put his head down on his pillow and fell asleep until a little after midnight. He woke up then and was calling for us again. Rich and I were awaken by Owen, but we didn't budge from our places on the floor. Just in case you didn't know, we are now sleeping on the floor of Owen's room right next to his crib. We've been there since he came home a little over 3 weeks ago. Well...when we didn't respond to his call, he went back to sleep on his own. At 4:30am, he got up and tried to get our attention again. Rich got up to check his diaper, but I stayed where I was because I am weak-willed and will probably pick him up if I came close to him. I just laid there and kept saying, "ssssshhhhhhh" until he went back to sleep on his own again. And down he stayed until 7:00am this morning!

What a good boy Owen was last night. We hope to repeat this. We now know that we can't respond to him when he gets up in the middle of the night to cry for us.

Last night wasn't too traumatic for Owen. He woke up smiling and happy to see Mommy and Daddy. Daddy was able to see him before he went off to work, so that made Owen's day. He finished his bottle this morning before going downstairs with Grandma Truong while Mommy cleaned his room and organized his closet.

Today, Owen went down for a 40 minute nap in the morning at 10am. But at 1:15, after finishing his bottle, he went down for a 3 hour nap! He woke up really hungry, so we gave him a big bowl of rice cereal with sweet potatoes and an hour later, he had a bottle. We're on schedule for a container of baby food at 7:00 and a bottle at 8:30 after his bath tonight. Hopefully, we can get him to repeat his good sleeping habit tonight. But then again, I hear it takes 2 weeks to form a habit. So, we're willing to be patient.

Here are a couple of pictures of Owen from today and a couple of days ago.

Here is Owen all snuggled up with Daddy. He likes cuddling with Daddy because he misses Daddy so much when Daddy is at work. So, Owen saves his biggest smiles for Daddy. I'll have to try to remember to video tape Owen's reaction to Daddy walking through the door after work each evening. It's priceless.

Here's Owen shortly before his afternoon nap. He was tired, but very wide-eyed. This quickly changed after his tummy was filled with warm formula.


Here's Owen with Baby Tad AFTER he woke up from his long nap this afternoon. Grandma Truong got to him before Mommy did when he woke up, but when Mommy waddled into the room, his face lit up and he reached for her! What a sweet boy. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera ready to snap that look on his face.

Here's Owen playing with Mommy. He likes to give Mommy kisses while he stands in his playpen. It's really sweet because he closes his eyes and leans in for that big kiss. Sometimes he bites, so Mommy has to keep her eyes open to ensure that he just plants a big kiss on her lips and not take a bite out of her lips.


Here is the stocking Mommy and Daddy bought for Owen over the weekend. Daddy hung it up on the fire place so that it's the first thing Santa sees when he comes deliver Owen's Christmas presents. Since he was so good last night, we're pretty confident that Owen will NOT be getting a lump of coal in his stocking this year!


1 comment:

Karen said...

Good luck with the sleeping issues, we are still dealing with them on a nightly basis. I think I have had 2 nights of solid sleep since August. If you want to call them solid sleeps - I wake up thinking, why hasn't he cried yet?